Friday, August 17, 2012

highlights of a quick beach trip

We took off to St. Simmons Island Last Sunday after Church.  We enjoy the laid back slow paced lifestyle experienced at St. Simmons. I think I could get used to it.
I have always loved light houses. Wouldn't it have been neat to be a light housekeeper family back in the day....well, at least until a hurricane came, anyway.
 Shek wanted to climb the lighthouse, but we arrived about 30 mins too late to do it.
 Here we are minus dad, he took the photo, no random stranger around to snap one of all of us.
The playground at the pier was a big hit with Shek and Jolie. 

 We discovered that the beach is Jolie's happy place. Many belly laughs and big grins from this girl.
 2ach and Jolie headed off the beach
She cried and cried when we got back to the hotel and I changed her out of her wet swimsuit. She kept  crying and saying I don't want to go away. The way she phrased it made me think all kinds of things and I got emotional, Karl said, She just doesn't want to leave the beach...she's having too much fun and doesn't want it to end. 
Shek and Jolie are chasing the seagulls.
The next morning we headed home, but first we stopped in Savannah one of our favorite spots. We love to visit River Street and of course Uncle Bubba's Seafood.
But first we stopped at the candy store. There's lots of goodies to see, but a praline is always my choice.
Jolie couldn't believe all of the choices, but she wanted the buckeyes since the candy counter lady gave her sample. 
 Karlie and me taking photos with the iphone. Seems that in our rush to pack up and go, the rechargeable batteries were left at home and I was stuck using the iphone yet again.
One of my favorite scenes of Savannah is this statue of the waving girl. Seems like the story is she waved  a welcome to all the passing ships. She died, I think in 1943, and this statue was erected in her memory.

After leaving river street we headed to uncle bubba's, you know, uncle bubba's as in paula deen's brother. When we arrived the parking lot was full. Very unusual for a Tuesday midday and there were 2 tour buses. I jokingly said, Paula must be here today. When we got inside, sure enough, she was, as well as both sons, hubby and her brother. I was shocked. We didn't get in line for the book signing but my Shek grabbed my phone and went to the window where she was and snapped a few photos until they told him he couldn't. Then after finishing our lunch, and heading to the parking lot, Jolie wanted to stop and look at the koi fish...the big kids went on to the car. BUT when we got there they each met us telling us that Paula and family just got in their limo and waved to them and said BYE y'all! I said did you take a photo! My oldest said, no momma we just kinda had our mouth dropped and waved and said bye...and Karl and I missed it. BUT my phone battery was dead by then so I couldn't have done much better. 
Me and my batteries!

the long road

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS make me HAPPY! Comments make me smile!