Saturday, December 21, 2013

Do you really like Christmas?


The other night while we were driving to one of the many events that crowd our calendars during the month of December, I turned to my hubby, and sighed. 
I sighed one of those deep, sighs. The kind of sigh that can get you in trouble cause those in ear shot might think you're disgusted....
anyway...
I turned to him and asked him this question.
Do you really like Christmas?
He replied...well of course. 
I said
Yeah
I know what you mean....I love Christmas
the celebration of the birth of Jesus...but the stress that comes with the season.

could 
do 
without.
A friend of mine told me about Ann Voskamps book about Advent. I read her blog, and have read her devotions for advent in the past, but this year she has a new book to help us prepare ourselves for 
the 
coming
of Christ
in 
the midst
of 
all 
of our 
secular lives....
I read it...I like it
But
Sometimes
Still
The 
Stress of
Christmas
finds 
me and wears me down.
Oh to bottle up that anticipation of a child waiting for Christmas...
Thinking it will never arrive
but as a parent...realizing it arrives all too fast.
but yesterday
on my way to one of those shopping trips I passed the little church on the corner.
There were no fancy ribboned decorations there, no fancy light displays, but simply a cross...a very plain cross, with a sign
with 
red 
words..
that simply stated
This I did for you
John 3:16
I snapped a quick photo with my phone while paused at the red light.
The church at the corner has it right
Christmas...it's about the cross...
nothing 
fancy, ribboned, or lighted
but
simply a cross
 with a message...
a gift.

so today, when I found myself out with the rest of my county making those last minute preparations.
My attitude had
glimpse of that 
childhood 
wonder of Christmas and I took the words from Ann's book to heart.
Turning my secular tasks into something sacred.
Jesus is the gift of Christmas. Have you received this precious, awesome gift?

Breathe a silent prayer, asking God to clear the way, turning your secular tasks into something sacred.
  The Greatest Gift --Ann Voskamp



No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS make me HAPPY! Comments make me smile!